Sunday, March 27, 2011

three impossible cocktails for spring

ONE
 I love this ginger cognac called Domaine de Canton, but I wasn't sure what to mix it with. So I thought- what do I like ginger with? Ginger lemon tea, and ginger pear pie came to mind. So I created this cocktail; I couldn't think of a good name for it. Any suggestions?


Start with a shaker filled with ice, half of a lemon, ginger cognac, and pear vodka. Put one shot cognac and two shots vodka into the shaker with the juice of half the lemon (with a sliver reserved for garnish). Shake it like a polaroid picture.

I found these ginger chews and thought they would be perfect with this cocktail-- I am such a ginger fiend. Pour into cute glass and garnish with one ginger candy and a slice of lemon. Enjoy on the porch in New Orleans, fanning yourself with theater tickets. 


TWO
Unfortunately I did not take great pictures of this one, as I was too busy catching up with an lovely old friend while pouring away. I call it the coupe princesse-- But anyway, I didn't make up this recipe, I found it in a magazine several years ago. I think it was Gourmet? You need gin, pink grapefruit juice, rosemary simple syrup, and champagne or sparkling wine. 


To make the rosemary syrup, which is really the magic in this drink, just simmer some fresh rosemary in a simple syrup (sugar and water) for about ten minutes and leave to cool. You can later use this in your tea too! 

Use a shaker filled with ice and shake up two shots of gin for each glass and two splashes of pink grapefruit, with a dash of the sugar syrup.Shake it like a pom pom at homecoming.  Pour into sexy glasses and top with champagne. Should be garnished with a sugar-coated rosemary sprig (not pictured.) Enjoy on the beach in your bathing costume while reading a romance novel. 




THREE
This one came about because a friend of mine had blueberry vodka to get rid of, and she was having a bbq. This was my solution. You need: blueberry vodka, fresh mint, lemonade, fresh lemon, and soda water. I call it life's lemons


Muddle a few leaves of fresh mint in the bottom of a glass- it helps if you sprinkle some sugar on top to grind it well. In the meanwhile, place two shots vodka per glass and a healthy splash of lemonade in an ice-filled cocktail shaker and shake it like yo mamma told ya. 


Pour vodka and lemonade into glass, top with soda water and garnish with fresh lemon round. Enjoy in a cotton sundress at the barbeque before kissing in the shade of the dogwood tree. 


No comments:

Post a Comment