Wednesday, April 6, 2011

the 'i told you so' meal

This meal is close to my heart, because when I spent a year on a pirate ship in the Indian Ocean my dear roommate brought it to the table. I read the recipe, which she had cut out of a magazine, and promptly dismissed it as sounding like a "I am so high and this is what is in the pantry" recipe. However, she got to say "I told you so" because it is really delightful and I make it for a lovely lunch often. It is good hot and fresh but also as a cold salad the next day. What follows is my recipe per Momma Bomba, with my alterations in red. Enjoy!



Peanut chicken noodles:

1 tbsp peanut oil (or whatever)
1 lb chicken, cut (or half chicken and half mushrooms, as I usually do with meat stuff, or shrimp if ya like)
3 cloves garlic
1/2 onion sliced
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups water
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp crushed red peppers
2 packs ramen noodles, chicken flavor
hearty dashes of tiger sauce
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro




Heat oil, fry chicken and garlic, then onions. Remove from pan. Whisk peanut butter with water, vinegar, soy sauce, red pepper, and 1 seasoning packet from the ramen noodles. Bring to a boil and add the noodles. Re-add the chicken and frozen peas, and cover until noodles are cooked. Season heavily with tiger sauce and top with fresh chopped cilantro. 


Delicious! An economical tasty thai knock-off that comes together in 20 minutes. Now if you excuse me, I am going to go dive in to the left-overs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment