Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I give you the world. Have fun blowing it up.

“I took the sleeper out of Glasgow, and as the smelly old train bumped out of Central Station and across the Jamaica Street Bridge, I stared out at the orange halogen streetlamps reflected in the black water of the river Clyde. I gazed at the crumbling Victorian buildings that would soon be sandblasted and renovated into yuppie hutches. I watched the revelers and rascals traverse the shiny wet streets. I thought of the thrill and danger of my youth and the fear and frustration of my adult life thus far. I thought of the failure of my marriage and my failures as a man. I saw all this through my reflection in the nighttime window. 

Down the tracks I went, hardly aware that I was going further south with every passing second.” 


― Craig FergusonAmerican on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot


(I listened to Craig read this- his memoir- on tape and it was amazing)


No comments:

Post a Comment